Normal Maps

Types of Maps.


Normals - a normal map creates the illusion of a 3D texture using RGB information.


Bump - A bump map holds the height information so it is like a normal map but is actually 3D


Texture- Texture maps are the colour and pattern you put onto the model.


Specular- Makes black and white stand out more and increases the depth to the 3D texture.


On my model I used normal and texture maps.

To make my normal maps I used a program called Crazybump. First of all I took the textures I had made in Photoshop and desaturated them to black and white.

Then opened the file in Crazybump.


you can then edit the settings to create the effect you want to achieve and the preview shows you what the texture will look like on the model.


here I also combined normals. For example on my ground I combined the normal I exported from Mudbox and the normal from my texture in photoshop.



Once the normals were all done I applied them to my model along with the texture maps.

After applying a lambert texture to each object select material attributes in this menu.

Choose file in this menu to load in your own texture

Select the file using the folder icon.

Adding the normal maps is a similar process.