Tidying up the Model

When I had created the basic shapes of the door and frame I decided it would be best to look around my model to see if there were any instances where there were faces on the model that didn't need to be there.

For example, inside the door frame the edge of the door wouldn't be seen at all so the faces don't need to be there. It will make the model more efficient and have less polygons and therefore take up less memory in a game engine.



So I simply selected the faces and deleted them.

I repeated this process this for the bottom of the steps and other places that wouldn't be seen.

Tidying up the Geometry.

Using the split polygon tool as shown above I divided up my model so that is was much more efficient and only had four sided shapes. I also made the subdivisions as even as possible to make things better when I came to open it in mudbox and sculpt onto it.


To use the split polygon tool first click on and edge and then click on the other edge that you want the subdivision to extend to and press enter. You can also double click the icon to bring up the options where you can choose how many subdivisions to put into an object, you can then simply click on the object and it will make that many equal subdivisions, this is very useful for quickly and equally dividing objects.

before tidying
after tidying.